By Naomi Nachman
Photography by Melina Strauss
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 log pre-sliced mozzarella Natural and Kosher
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated by Natural and Kosher
1 Tablespoon dried dill
1/2 cup canola oil
- Place the flour, eggs, and panko bread crumbs mixed with parmesan and dill, in 3 separate shallow bowls.
- Dip a slice of the cheese, first in the flour, then in the eggs (letting any excess drip off), then the panko-cheese mixture, pressing gently to help it adhere.
- Set aside each slice of crumbed cheese on a tray lined with parchment paper and continue to batter up the rest of the cheese.
- Place in the freezer for up to 2 hours. Don’t skip this step. It stops the cheese from oozing out when you fry them.
- Remove from freezer, then repeat again the dipping process of the already crumbed slices, but just the egg and panko/cheese coating. This gives them a super crunchy coating.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the tomatoes until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.